What causes dry skin and how to treat it
Dry skin is a common skincare concern that will affect most people at some stage in their life. It can leave you feeling uncomfortable and reduce confidence, but the great news is that it can be managed and treated. Discover how to reduce dry skin with My Perfect’s skincare range.
What is dry skin?
Dry skin can leave you feeling tight, uncomfortable and can result in symptoms including itchy or flaky skin. Occurring due to a reduction in the moisture levels in the skin, it can cause the skin to become dull. Dry skin lacks the supple, soft texture we’re used to, caused by changes to the upper layers of the skin, such as damage to the skin’s natural moisture barrier or a reduction in the natural lipids in the skin.
What causes dry skin?
Dry skin can be caused by a variety of factors ranging from genetic to environmental. Understanding the cause of your dry skin will help you combat the signs with a targeted skincare routine for dry skin that uses clinically proven ingredients to treat dry, itchy, and flaky skin.
- Your skin is naturally dry. For some people, oily skin is normal, for others, it’s dry. This is your individual skin type and will need to follow a specific dry skincare routine.
- Reduced air humidity can be a common cause of dry skin. Whether during a hot, dry summer or caused by central heating or a fireplace in your home, if there is less moisture in your environment, it can cause dry, flaky skin.
- Age can play a role in your skin hydration levels. As we get older, our sebum production declines, leaving the top layers of our skin drier.
- Hot water and hard water can both impact your skin, particularly with minerals such as calcium and magnesium present that are known to aggravate the skin.
- Not drinking enough water can have a significant impact on skin hydration, leaving your skin dry and dull.
- Existing skin conditions such as eczema or psoriasis can make you prone to dry, itchy, or flaky skin.
- The products you’re using can impact the moisture in your skin, leaving it dry and irritated.
How to treat dry skin
Depending on the cause of your dry skin, treatment can include lifestyle changes as well as dermatological solutions to give you back soft, supple skin. If your dry skin is a result of your lifestyle, you can adapt your routines to improve skin hydration.
- Drink more water to replenish your skin’s hydration from the inside out – if you’re dehydrated, your skin will be one of the first signs.
- Take cooler showers or baths – reduce the temperature of your water and spend less time soaking.
- Introduce a water filter to your taps to catch minerals that can have a drying effect on the skin.
- Add a humidifier to your home if the air is dry to increase the moisture in the air.
- Avoid direct sunlight as this can irritate conditions or cause damage that leaves skin feeling dry and tight.
- Moisturize twice daily to nourish your skin with a hydrating barrier to lock in moisture for longer.
While taking these steps can reduce the effects of dry skin, it may not eliminate the problem completely. If you have a condition such as eczema or psoriasis, lifestyle changes are unlikely to completely relieve all symptoms of dry skin, although they may improve it.
How can My Perfect replenish my skin’s hydration and fix dry skin?
Improve your skin’s hydration and say goodbye to that tight feeling with My Perfect’s moisturizing range. My Perfect Day delivers 12-hour hydration in a light, refreshing cream designed to awaken your skin, leaving it glowing. For deeper hydration, pair with My Perfect Night for an enriching moisturizer that rejuvenates your skin while you sleep.