What causes eye bags and how to get rid of them
Have dark circles and eye bags left you looking tired? Don’t despair; there are ways to treat eye bags and banish dark circles, so you’ll be left with a brighter, more alert appearance. Discover what causes eye bags and how to fix them.
What are eye bags?
Under-eye bags are caused by the delicate skin under your eyes losing their elasticity. Sometimes this can also appear as puffiness or swelling that creates a pouch-like shape beneath the eye. Eye bags are a natural part of aging, but they can also be made more defined by influences such as not getting enough sleep, or people may be genetically predisposed to having more obvious dark circles and eye bags.
What causes under eye bags?
A lack of sleep is the most commonly touted reason for under-eye bags, but there are a number of other causes that could influence whether you experience puffiness under your eyes.
- Genetics can play a role in whether you have eye bags or how dark the circles around your eyes are.
- A lack of sleep is one of the biggest causes of under eye bags. Not only will not getting enough beauty sleep leave you looking as tired as you feel, but it also leaves skin appearing dull and makes blood vessels more obvious beneath your skin.
- Allergies can play havoc, especially if you experience itchy, swollen, or watery eyes. Allergic reactions promote production of histamine which can leave you with puffy eyes.
- Aging is another big contributor to the appearance of under-eye bags as your skin becomes thinner and loses elasticity.
- Dehydration won’t only leave your skin feeling dry. It can also create under-eye bags because skin loses moisture that keeps it looking supple and radiant.
Too much sun has never been good for our skin, so it’s possibly one cause of your under-eye bags. The skin around your eyes is thinner, making it more susceptible to the impact of harmful UV rays. This can mean it’s one of the first places we start to show signs of aging, a process which can be accelerated by overexposure to the sun.
How to get rid of under-eye bags
Under-eye bags can’t always be treated or eliminated, but there are steps you can take to reduce the appearance of under-eye bags and dark circles, so they’re less visible.
- Improve your diet by reducing the amount of salt you’re consuming. Salt can cause water retention, which can contribute to the appearance of puffiness and eye bags.
- Apply a cold compress to constrict the blood vessels around the eyes to reduce the appearance of eye bags. You can use anything from frozen vegetables to cold cucumber slices or a cool face cloth.
- Get your recommended eight hours of sleep. There’s a lot of reasons we need to ensure we’re getting enough sleep. It’s when our body repairs and rejuvenates itself. Get that ‘I woke up like this’ look by getting your forty winks.
- Limit your sun exposure and always wear high SPF sun protection to block harmful UV rays that will speed up the aging process.
- Remove makeup carefully and gently. The thin skin around your eyes is delicate and sensitive to harsh activity, so use a gentle cleanser to remove the day’s makeup.
- Use a good quality eye cream that specifically targets swelling and fine lines to create the appearance of younger-looking skin.
How can My Perfect Eyes treat eye bags for a brighter appearance?
Tackle eye bags, fine lines, and dark circles with My Perfect Eyes for a brighter, more awake appearance. A careful combination of dermatologically tested ingredients helps fight under-eye bags to leave you looking and feeling younger with results lasting up to 10 hours. 96% of users said it dramatically reduced the appearance of puffiness with results in just 60 seconds.